Saturday, November 26, 2011

READING LOG for the month of NOVEMBER


Part 1

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde            November 24, 2011


1.   Connect

This story reminds me of the cartoon TV show, Detective Conan. Conan was a young clever man. Criminals forced him to drink a drug which made him a child for they are afraid that Conan who was
Sinichi Kudo would solve their crimes. Mr. Jekyll, a doctor has two persons inside him; the good and the bad. Dr. Jekyll had drunken a drug which let the bad side of him out. It’s like Detective Conan was the one who was solving the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Also, the two stories are connected because the both of them talks about solving a case and matters on becoming an extraordinary person.



2.   Reflect

I felt very surprised that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are just one person. They are largely different in terms of moral aspect. Every time Dr. Jekyll drinks the drug he experimented he turns into Mr. Hyde. Dr. Jekyll is a silent and very descent person while Mr. Hyde is immoral and very wild. Dr. Jekyll believed that one person is two persons. For me, Dr. Jekyll was selfish. Dr. Lanyon was the only one who knew that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are only one person with different personas. He shot his life to death because he cannot prolong the pain he was feeling inside him and this was to keep the secret of Dr. Jekyll.


3.   Question

I just wondered why was Dr. Jekyll’s heir Mr. Utterson? Why Dr. Jekyll had to done experiments and test in on his own self? Why the drug made him so cruel that every time he becomes Mr. Hyde he can’t help not to hurt others? Why have he died at the end of the story?



4.   Predict

I believe that he had no other fiends than Mr. Lanyon who died and Mr. Utterson who helped in solving his case. I think that Jekyll as a doctor was just bored and he wanted to do something unnatural I think he died because the doze of the drug he was taking was very high.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Part 2
Write a letter to the author.

December 11, 2011




Mr. Robertson Louis Stevenson

Author

Edinburgh, Scotland


 

Mr. Stevenson:


Good day!


My name is Arjean Mae N. Agustin, a second year AB English student of Mindanao State University, General Santos City, Philippines.


I have read your book entitled: “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” and I would like you to know that the book did good things to me.


After reading the book, I have become an optimistic person. My mind has opened to the possibilities that anything could be two persons like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Indeed, the book is very awesome.


Furthermore, I am stupefied when I have known that the book is made out of a nightmare of yours and it really made me think that you are a brilliant author. I admire the exceptional talent you possessed.


Indeed, I just hope that The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde will have a sequel whereas many other readers will be inspired and be motivated too.


Thank you. God bless and more power to you.




Very truly yours,


         AmAgustin

Arjean Mae N. Agustin





No comments:

Post a Comment